Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
We believe that sharing your story is one of the most powerful things you can do for many reasons.
For example, some of the happiest people you can imagine may be struggling with a mental illness and you’d never know… It’s not until vulnerability gives them the courage to open up and share their story that we know what’s going on in their life.
This moment can be scary for the one opening up for the first time, but the burden that is lifted when you’re done is like nothing else. If you’re on the listening side of the conversation you are probably thinking “I thought I was the only one!”
When we come together and share our story we realize that the human experience has its ups and downs and we are all on the same journey. When we find similarities in our stories and struggles, the power of healing is within your grasp.
Today we sit down with former NHL player, Coach, and owner of the Monkey Mind Podcast, Danny Perez. Talking with Danny today you wouldn’t guess that his past is riddled with anxiety, depression, and alcohol abuse. But he reveals all about his time in college and how he ignored the anxiety that start to compound as he pushedhimself to the breaking point. We discuss the importance of managing your mental health and how passion can sometimes put more pressure on us than we’re prepared to deal with.
It wasn’t until Danny started opening up that he realized he wasn’t the only one struggling and how that led him to the path of healing and taking back control of his life. If hindsight is 20/20, then Danny has perfect vision, you’ll get amazing insight into taking ownership of the past and turning dark times into valuable learning experiences. He talks about the lessons he’s learned and how he still uses them to this day as well as the practices that keep his mind happy, healthy, and whole. These days you’ll find Danny coaching both on and off the ice, helping athletes open up and overcome the struggles of athletic life.
We hope this episode empowers you to face your past and learn from your experiences but most of all we hope it encourages those struggling to reach out and open up to someone near you today. For more resources or to connect with Danny, check out the links below!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- Growing up as a first-generation American
- The moment Danny got hooked on hockey
- How Danny’s parents fed his love for hockey
- Taking off the pressure and enjoying the journey
- The importance of managing your mental health
- How therapists helped Danny shift his perspective
- Owning up to the past and being self-aware
- Looking at the learning experiences of life
- The most important thing you need to start healing
- Practices Danny does to keep a healthy mind
- The power of taking responsibility
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What we cover today!
- 1:39 Introducing Danny Perez
- 6:34 Bonding through hockey
- 9:49 Going all in for the NHL
- 13:01 Drinking to cope with anxiety
- 17:08 How pressure makes mental illness worse
- 22:17 How opening up brings validation
- 25:09 When Danny realized it was time to change
- 30:00 Danny’s life as pro athlete
- 36:01 Practical tips to help your mental health
- 40:43 Where to find the Monkey Mind Podcast
- 43:28 Danny’s advice for you
- 44:48 Closing thoughts