Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
August 31, 2011, will be a day that David Bartley will remember forever. With the help of a nameless first responder, he stepped away from the bridge where he planned to end his life. Now ten years later, he has made a name advocating for those struggling with depression and mental illness.
As Clint and I keep marching on this journey together we are just blown away by the people we have had the privilege to speak with. Today’s guest is no different, David Bartley is a staunch mental health advocate, TEDx speaker, and counselor. Join us as he shares his journey, from attempted suicide to finding a tiny seed of hope and growing into something new.
Listen in as David talks about the importance of connection, whether through a call, a conversation, or even a handwritten note. You’ll learn the power that connection has to activate hope in those who are struggling with mental illness. As well as practical tips to support those exhibiting signs of suicidal tendencies, why it’s important to express yourself, and finding your purpose even after tragedy.
This is a powerful episode with a message from David for you, so hit play and relax because you may just find that seed of hope right here. For more resources or to get in touch with David, check out the links below!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- The day David tried to kill himself
- Two things that saved David that night
- Why mental illness has to be explained
- Hiding behind the velocity of your life
- Practical questions for those who are struggling
- What not to say
- Planting a seed of hope
- David’s experience in a psych ward
- The power of your name
- Fighting fear with understanding
- Creating hope with connection
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What we cover today!
- 2:18 Welcome David Bartley
- 4:24 August 31, 2011
- 8:33 Learning the signs of someone who is suicidal
- 12:41 Being able to hurt out loud
- 16:38 Rethinking suicide
- 22:24 After the first responder saved his life
- 25:01 How trauma ignites mental illness
- 29:54 Activating hope with connection
- 35:13 The power of expression
- 40:15 How handwritten noes make a difference
- 47:14 Finding new purpose
- 52:31 David’s advice for you
- 54:53 Closing thoughts