Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
They say the darkest of stories can have a silver (and hilarious) lining if the right comedian gets their hands on it…we think today’s guest would agree!
Welcome to episode 85 of Warriors Unmasked! Today we sat down with the one and only Mike Cotayo. Mike has been captivating audiences for over 20 years through his stand-up routines that are heavily centered around his own personal pain and story.
To this day, he struggles to use the left side of his body and, like many a suffering artist, has a voice textured by years of succumbing to the struggles of drug addiction, alcoholism, and an uncompromising diagnosis of HIV. He says that comedy and tragedy often go hand-in-hand so why not use his story to bring joy to others!
Mike will take a deep dive into his journey from being in a car accident at 18 months and being diagnosed with cerebral palsy to winning the Apollo in New York City. You’ll also hear how contracting HIV at age 24 sent him into being a full-blown addict at age 25 to ultimately turninghis life around one laugh at a time.
This episode features the ups and downs of addiction and how anyone can get sober if they are determined enough to make it happen. His style is the perfect blend of high-energy, quick wit, and genuine encouragement.
We hope this show brings you joy and lifts your spirits. Mike has a beautiful way of allowing others to laugh at even the deepest pains or toughest moments in their lives. If this conversation brings you a new level of healing we would love to hear about it! Reach out to us or our guests via the links below.
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- How Mike became a stand up comedian
- Mike’s struggles with depression and anxiety.
- Mike’s first relapse in 2002
- Incorporating mental health/illness into stand up
- How anger is a secondary emotion, not a core emotion.
- Mike’s tips for managing anger
- Mike’s tips for managing anxiety
- Why we all need more laughter in 2022
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 A look into today’s episode
- 1:25 Thank you to today’s sponsors
- 2:18 Get to know Mike Cotayo
- 5:44 Everyone needs a little more laughter
- 9:00 A look into Mike’s stand-up comedy journey
- 14:29 What made Mike get sober
- 21:35 Turning your personal pain into healthy comedy
- 25:11 What typically triggers relapses
- 29:00 Mike’s tips for staying mentally healthy
- 37:16 The power of taking a deep breath
- 42:48 Final thoughts and advice from Mike