Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
“There is only one way to eat an elephant: a bite at a time.” – Desmond Tutu
When Joe Roberts was living day-to-day in the streets of downtown Vancouver, he never thought that he would end up where he is today. Turns out, he didn’t need to look that far, all he needed to do was take the next step….
This week we welcome Skidrow CEO, honorary doctorate, and mental health advocate Joe Roberts to the show. We dive into Joe’s journey from addiction and homelessness, to the words that changed his life one day on a park bench, and the new life he is living today.
Join us as Joe talks about the weeks he contemplated taking his life and the moment that
made him reconsider it all. Listen in as he tells the heroic story of knowing when it was time to go home and the support he had from family and from God. Joe talks about the power of taking it one step at a time as well as the passion he has for the youth in Canada and those who have struggled like him.
This story is one of heartbreak, grit, hope, and victory. So hit play, sit back, and relax as you hear how the place you’re in is exactly where you need to be.
For more resources or to connect with Joe, check out the links below!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- How Joe left homelessness
- Staying vigilant on your mental health journey
- Growing up with a traumatic childhood
- Finding the freedom of sobriety
- Doing things outside of your comfort zone
- The impact of community
- Joe’s advice for the younger generation
- How adversity brings change into your life
- Crossing the country with a shopping cart
- The words that changed Joe’s life
- Meeting the REAL you
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What we cover today!
- 2:22 Welcome Joe Roberts
- 8:06 The unresolved issues
- 12:51 Stepping out in faith
- 15:32 Joe’s story with trauma
- 18:30 I just wanted to fit in
- 23:45 Seeing through the mask
- 25:30 The catalyst for change
- 27:53 The inspiration for Joe’s book
- 31:45 Pushing a shopping cart across Canada
- 36:18 How a man named Gus changed Joe’s life
- 42:17 Where to connect with Joe
- 44:08 Joe’s advice for you
- 45:55 Closing thoughts