Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked! This week we have a powerful person both in and out of the dojo. Mac Scotty McGregor takes us along on his journey of pain, perseverance, and above all else, healing.
We take a deep dive into what it was like growing up with a mother who battled mental illness,
and the responsibilities and stress Mac took upon himself. Including watching over his younger brother, and making sure their mom was taken care of. Mac talks about the moment he realized he wasn’t living in a normal home as well as the dojo he found refuge and family in. You’ll hear how he went from an unstable home to creating a life that was whole, happy, and free.
Listen in as we talk about life after high school and the many people Mac still remembers today who helped and supported him (even if it was little things). Though he hid his wounds through means of overachieving and staying busy Mac knew there was a time where he needed to confront his past to help his future. He talks about the letters he wrote to his younger self and how extending a hand, even if it was his own, was a turning point for him and his mental health.
We discuss the courage it takes to be vulnerable and how practicing vulnerability can help you change the very reality you see.
For those of you who are struggling you are not alone, and for those who know someone struggling just remember a little goes a long way. We hope this episode gives you the encouragement to reach out for help or to reach out your hand to someone in need.
For more resources or to connect with Mac, check out the links below!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- Growing up with a mentally ill parent
- Finding a family through martial arts
- Climbing the ladder to martial arts success
- Stepping out of a life of silence
- Being a seeker of knowledge
- Writing letters to your younger self
- Understanding that it’s ok to have emotions
- Learning vulnerability from a strong role model
- Taking off responsibility that is not yours
- Changing your reality with healing
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What we cover today
- 1:47 Introducing Mac Scotty McGregor
- 5:53 Growing up in the south with a mentally ill parent
- 11:18 Finding success in martial arts
- 16:39 The importance of talking about issues
- 21:41 Being different
- 25:24 Life after high school
- 30:11 Beginning the journey of self-healing
- 35:57 Admitting your past trauma
- 39:43 The power of coaches
- 43:57 How Mac sees his mom now
- 48:17 Doing it for yourself
- 51:10 Mac’s advice for you
- 52:48 Closing thoughts