Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
Our guest this week is living proof that there is hope for your future and that you can overcome trauma, hardship, and a broken home to live a life that is full of purpose and meaning.
Join us as we sit down with former NHL player, Olympic gold medalist, author, and mental health advocate Theoren Fleury. Theo’s story is one that covers a multitude of painful instances that any human would struggle to endure. From the stress of being a professional athlete to sexual assault, drug addiction, and childhood trauma, there was a point where he was ready to end all the pain.
Fortunately, Theo’s story doesn’t end there.
Listen in as Theo talks about the hope, peace, and motivation he gained when he decided to live his life with a new purpose. We discuss his journey of healing and the practices that have helped him the most, as well as the three areas you should look to start your own healing journey and the key of vulnerability that connects you with those who can help.
We hope this episode empowers you to reach out and seize your own healing and purpose for the future. To connect with Theo and find more resources, check out the links below!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- Finding purpose after hockey
- Using hockey as a platform
- Leaning into powerful leadership
- Connecting to those who have trauma
- The 3 step journey to healing
- Staying dialed into what grounds you
- The gift of adversity
- Taking sobriety one day at a time
- How to get out of your head
- Breaking the trauma loop
- Rewiring your brain and trauma
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What we cover today!
- 2:25 Welcome Theoren Fleury
- 5:44 The importance of your role
- 8:48 Gaining perspective from the past
- 11:18 What helped Theo tell all in his book
- 15:43 Taking the ego out of addiction
- 20:05 Missing the first step to healing
- 25:30 Getting to the core of your issues
- 29:13 Theo tells his story
- 34:30 Getting back to your heart
- 38:50 Why we protect ourselves with anger
- 42:08 A story of forgiveness
- 49:45 Being willing to let go
- 51:32 Understanding the journey of mental illness
- 55:40 How to get in touch with Theo
- 57:03 The importance of advocates in mental health
- 1:02:18 Celebrating the healing others achieve
- 1:08:13 Theo’s advice for you
- 1:13:53 Closing thoughts