Welcome Back to Warriors Unmasked! - The Podcast
You’ve heard the old saying “not all heroes wear capes,” right? If you haven’t you’ll get to hear exactly how true that saying actually is. In this episode, we sit down with the living legend himself, Larry Landon!
Throughout history books, there are stories scattered throughout about people helping out the little guy. Men and women rise up and take it on themselves to stick up for people being taken advantage of or not given a fair shot at the resources they need. In the world of professional sports and hockey, you may not consider athletes as a group of people being underserved but when you take a closer look at the average medical bills, housing costs, travel expenses, and other things the players are responsibly for you can start to easily see how you can go broke chasing your dreams. Not to mention after you hand up your skates for the last time the mental and physical tole of hockey can start to reveal itself even more.
Issues like this will soon be a thing of the past if our guest today has anything to say about it. Larry Landon former collegiate hockey player and team captain at RPI draft pick of the Montreal Canadians, a former NHL player with the Montreal Canadians and the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the current executive director of the Professional Hockey Players Association.
Hear all about Larry’s storied Hockey career, being in the Olympics playing alongside the greatest names in the sport, how he found the courage to serve 1,797 players, and everything in between.
We know this episode will leave you motivated and inspired to give back and start making a difference in the lives of those around you.
Always In Your Corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- What playing in the Olympics was like
- When two boxes came to the door
- How hockey was a part of Larry’s destiny
- Reliving days on the ice
- Life at RPI and the first game in the NHL
- Life after hockey
- Fighting for the truth above all else
- What made Larry passionate about union work
- The power of serving others
Episode Minute to Minute:
- 0:02 What we cover today
- 1:53 Conversation starts
- 2:44 The journey of Larry Landon
- 7:54 When Larry got his hockey scholarship
- 14:30 How Larry developed his work ethic
- 19:40 The starting line up at the Olympics
- 24:53 What ended Larry’s hockey career
- 25:40 Now the second part of Larry Landon
- 32:40 Two boxes and a basement
- 37:29 What gave Larry the courage to fight
- 44:19 How to learn more about Larry and his work
Facebook – Professional Hockey Players’ Association