Welcome Back to Warriors Unmasked
- The Podcast
Welcome back! As you know, at Warriors Unmasked our core values are courage, perseverance, and mental health. Specifically today we want to talk about perseverance and the resilience needed to keep going. Let’s face it, we all have our bad days rights? Well, imagine growing up with an alcoholic father, being diagnosed with multiple chronic medical issues, having two heart attacks, getting a divorce, and losing your mom all before the age 45? Getting through just one of these devastating situations displays what a truly unbreakable human spirit looks like. On today’s episode, we have 14 year professional Hockey equipment manager, 3 time professional Hockey champion, a good samaritan award winner, a former colleague, and my good friend Greg Sieg on the show. Listen in as we talk about Greg’s incredible journey and how he fought off the darkness through each of the above mentioned scenarios and how he remains resilient and persevered through all of these trials and tribulations. This story is an amazing representation that even when it seems like everything is going wrong, it all works together for our good. From alcoholism at a young age to crohn’s disease and an opioid addiction, we have an open conversation on just how hard it was as a professional athlete to find support in some of the toughest moments of his life. You’ll learn how Greg pushed past the hardships to come out sober, healing, and ready to live life with as much compassion and support as possible. Around the 15 minute mark, I get really honest about the importance of reaching out to those who are struggling at a young age. We all know someone who looks like they might be struggling with something bigger than themselves, take courage and don’t be afraid to ask the questions that could find them healing and hope quicker. For Greg, it could have changed his whole life, reach out to those who need help today. Have you ever had the need for extreme resilience in your life? We’d love to hear your stories, feel free to DM or private message us in the links below.
Always in your corner, Chuck and Clint
More of What We Talk About...
- The start of Greg’s struggle
- How someone saved Greg’s life
- Why you should ask the tough questions
- Being diagnosed with Chron’s disease
- How Greg was introduced to Percocets
- Dealing with no support in the past
- When Greg was diagnosed with PTSD
- Making peace with his father
- How Greg reached out and found help
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 Welcome back
- 1:21 A special thanks to our sponsors
- 1:40 Meet Greg!
- 4:13 What childhood was like for Greg
- 8:06 How Greg processed trauma as a kid
- 11:18 Greg’s surgery
- 14:48 How Greg killed the pain
- 26:44 How Greg dealt with his anger
- 33:20 When Greg’s career started to take off
- 35:58 How Greg’s mother passing triggered past pain
- 39:03 The story of Greg’s first heart attack
- 47:28 If Chuck could go back in time, this is what he would say to Greg.
- 51:10 What it felt like to reach out for help
- 54:50 Greg’s advice for anyone who is struggling today