Welcome Back to Warriors Unmasked! - The Podcast
When your back is against the wall, you have no choice but to move forward. It can be the hardest thing you have ever done, but you never know where that first step will take you.
Today’s guest is a father of two, member of the 1994 Stanley cup champions, a champion of the 2004 Kelly cup, and cancer survivor Matt Loughran. Matt has served in several leadership roles for more than thirty years in the professional hockey industry in which his highlight was the eleven seasons he spent as the Director of Team Operations for the New York Rangers. Listen in as Matt talks about growing up with depression and anxiety, his time in the NHL, and the moment his life changed when he was diagnosed with esophagus cancer at the age of 52.
Matt talks about the struggle of growing up with depression and anxiety, how it continued on into his professional career, and the moment he knew he needed help dealing with his mental illness. Matt gives his own wisdom about reaching out for help and allowing those who support you to help you along your journey. You’ll hear about his surprise diagnosis of esophageal cancer, the emotions that came along with it, how his support system rose up to help him and his family, and how he maintains his mental health now.
Matt embodies everything that Warriors Unmasked stands for, he has lived and WON with courage, perseverance, and battling his own mental illness. We believe this episode will fill you with hope and courage to take the next step in your journey and continue persevering through any and all odds.
To get in touch with us or follow us on social media check out the links below!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- Winning the battle against cancer
- The power of community and your support system
- Growing up with depression and anxiety
- Taking a moment for self-reflection
- Pushing through in the hardest moments
- How Matt manages his depression and anxiety now
- The small and supportive world of hockey
- How hockey helped Matt get through cancer
- And much more!
Episode Minute to Minute:
- 0:02 What to expect today
- 1:20 American Hat Company ad
- 2:09 Get to know Matt
- 7:38 When Matt knew something wasn’t right
- 15:11 Matt’s awards and rings and how he starts winning
- 18:21 Playing for some of the hardest coaches
- 20:48 Matt’s life long journey with mental illness
- 24:06 How Matt dealt with the fear of cancer
- 30:00 Clint’s coaching story