Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
Some people think that the road to recovery is an easy path if you just put one foot in front of the other. For many, that may be the case. However, the majority of addicts find that their road to recovery has more than a few setbacks, detours, and even off-ramps at times. Conquering your demons may not be a straightforward road, but it will always lead to breakthroughs and empowerment. Don’t take our word for it, just ask today’s guest!
Welcome back to another episode of Warriors Unmasked! While Clint is out changing the world on his own, it’s just me Chuck this week joined by our incredible guest, Brad Siroski. Brad is a cancer survivor, recovering alcoholic and drug addict, professional speaker, outreach addictions counselor, father, and mental health advocate.
During our conversation, Brad lets us in on what it was like growing up in the 1970s and early 80s in a very firm household that often used the phrase “children were meant to be seen and not heard.” This environment is what ultimately planted the seeds of self-doubt, insecurities, and fear that bloomed into extreme social anxiety by the age of 13. He found himself fearing adults and teachers because he was afraid to speak up, this fear started to creep into other areas of his young life, and he started to find it hard to make friends.
Everything changed for Brad when he had his first drink of alcohol. For the first time in his life, he wasn’t nervous to put himself out there and make friends. Through a series of events after that night, Brad became the life of the party and eventually started working in a nightclub. He fell into the wrong crowd and turned to a life of substance abuse. After suffering a heart attack induced by cocaine and alcohol, Brad found himself at a crossroads.
Hit play to hear how Brad’s incredible story ends up! You’ll hear all the ups and downs of how he got clean, relapsed, and got clean again, and how he is now making the world a better place. You’ll notice a recurring theme in Brad’s story is perseverance. Not only will you hear how he overcame many hurdles in his addiction, but Brad also shares how he faced a cancer diagnosis head-on and is now living cancer-free.
This episode will leave you with compassion, and empathy, to feeling hopeful and completely empowered. If you have found yourself in a dark season and don’t know where to turn, we all are here to help. Reach out to us or Brad if you need someone to talk to! Connect with us through the links below.
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- Growing up with social anxiety
- How alcoholism and addiction can start
- The truth about getting clean
- Dealing with an unexpected cancer diagnosis
- There is always someone to talk to
- When Brad lost all hope and hit rock bottom
- Why you need to be aware of old habits
- Stopping the vicious cycle of addiction
- When your body can’t take care of itself
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:08 What to expect today
- 1:45 Thank you to today’s sponsor
- 3:58 What childhood was like for Brad
- 13:41 When Brad knew he had to change
- 19:15 The ugly side of backsliding
- 23:03 Keeping an eye on old habits
- 27:52 When the cycle finally ended
- 34:00 Finding happiness in sobriety
- 39:00 Healthy ways to deal with anger
- 42:09 How Brad is making the world a better place
- 46:40 Everything happens for a good reason
- 57:42 How to connect with Brad