Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
Welcome to Warriors Unmasked! Today we had the pleasure of chatting with the incredible Justin Goldman.
Born and raised in a non-traditional hockey market of Dallas, Texas, Justin’s passion for the sport was ignited at a young age when he watched his first NHL practice. From that moment, he was hooked and knew he wanted to pursue a life in hockey, specifically in the goaltending position. Justin’s journey led him to become an NHL Emergency Backup Goaltender (EBUG) for the Colorado Avalanche from 2017-2022. But his commitment to the sport didn’t end there. In 2009,
Justin founded The Goalie Guild, a nonprofit organization focused on educating and supporting goalies at all levels. One of the foundation’s key programs is Lift The Mask, which was created in 2018 to address the mental health of goaltenders.
Throughout our conversation with Justin, we were struck by his warmth, curiosity, and awareness. He shared the importance of understanding and encouraging mental health support for athletes and detailed how his work aims to empower every goalie with which he comes into contact.
Justin’s experience in the hockey world is vast, having worked with USA Hockey, the USNTDP, NHL.com, NetWork Goaltending, Elite Goalies, and Mitch Korn Goalie Schools. He’s also a published author, with a collection of goaltending mindset books available on Amazon, including The Power Within I and II, Embracing The Grind, and Between Two Worlds.
We hope you enjoy listening to our conversation with Justin Goldman as much as we enjoyed speaking with him. His dedication to making the world a better place for goalies is truly inspiring, and we encourage you to check out his work with The Goalie Guild and Lift The Mask.
So grab a cup of coffee, settle in, and take a moment to explore the extraordinary journey of Justin Goldman!
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
EPISODE MINUTE BY MINUTE
- 0:00 Show introduction and messages from our sponsors
- 2:54 Introducing Andy Lipman and the idea of doing your best without comparison
- 8:55 Andy opens up about being diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at an early age
- 16:42 Life as a young man in high school and college dealing with CF
- 25:18 What Andy’s mental health was like at his lowest point before he really began to get strong
- 30:05 The 5 books Andy has written starting with “Alive at 25”
- 35:16 Andy does not want to be defined by Cystic Fibrosis
- 41:17 What does life look like for Andy Lipman these days?
- 45:03 Andy’s key to making sure life has more ups than downs
- 48:16 If you’re struggling in a similar way to what you’ve heard today, here’s a message from Andy