Welcome back to Warriors Unmasked - The Podcast!
We all struggle. Read that again…We all struggle.
Everybody is going through something in their life and everyone has a story to tell. It can be easy to feel like we are the only ones feeling the way we do. The next thing we know, those feelings have turned into reality because we tell ourselves there is nowhere to turn.
In those moments, it is important to remember that help is just a phone call away. On the other side of that experience, it’s equally as important to be the person on the other side of the phone who can listen and remind your loved one who’s struggling that everything will be okay. We had an amazing chat with Kat Zempolich on this week’s episode of Warriors Unmasked! If you haven’t heard of her, she’s the Co-Founder, Board Member, Co-Host of The Mental Matchup, and Director for Morgan’s Message. During our conversation, we discuss our journey with mental health and how to support others who make be facing depression and suicidal thoughts.
Hit play to hear Kat’s sports journey, how she decided on lacrosse, and what led to Duke. It was there she met her friend and teammate Morgan, that would change her life forever. After Morgan suddenly passed, Kat embarked on a heroic mission, sharing “Morgan’s Message” and is now helping young people win their mental health battles.
Trust us, this conversation was ﬁlled with so much wisdom and insight. Kat shared her thoughts on why some people struggle to reach out for support and what we can do to overcome those barriers.
We also delved into the topic of college athletics and mental health. With the pressures and demands placed on college athletes, it’s no secret that this can take a toll on their mental well-being. Kat shared her experiences and offered practical advice for anyone navigating these challenges.
This episode is packed full of good reminders we can all return to when times get tough. If you enjoy this conversation, help us spread the word! Send this episode to a friend that you think would beneﬁt from it and follow the links below to reach out to us and connect more.
Always in your corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of what we talk about...
- The emotional journey through mental health struggles
- The feeling of being lost post-college
- Mental health among student-athletes
- How Kat is building a safety net for young people
- The importance of checking in on your friends
- When physical injuries turn into mental battles
- When Kat’s teammate Morgan passed away unexpectedly
- When Kat walked off the ﬁeld
- Kat’s experience with lacrosse and ﬁeld hockey
- Growing up with two siblings on the spectrum
- Overcoming the pressure to perform and please others
- And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What’s inside to today’s episode
- 1:35 Thank you to today’s sponsors
- 3:06 Get to know Kat Zempolich
- 13:03 When Kat became a college athlete
- 16:55 How Kat became a lacrosse player
- 31:19 Kat’s mental health journey
- 37:38 The pressure of playing at Duke
- 43:03 The story behind Morgan’s Message
- 51:09 How to join Kat’s community
- 54:22 Kat’s advice for everyone listing
Website: Morgan’s Message
Podcast: The Mental Matchup Podcast — Morgan’s Message
Apple: The Mental Matchup on Apple Podcasts
Instagram: Morgan’s Message (@morgansmessage)