Welcome Back to Warriors Unmasked
- The Podcast!
Familiar with our tag, “It’s not just a goalie thing?” It is one, very near and dear to both Clint and I. We are heartfelt about our Warriors Unmasked tagline and truly believe that mental health awareness is as equally important to those suffering with it as those related to others whom may struggle. We crafted our tag with the belief that sharing stories of inspiration, courage, perseverance, and mental mental are far more reaching then just one specified arena and understand it includes a broad range of so many of us with which we wish to make a connection.
Which brings us to the introduction of today’s guest. Scott Kelsey is a professional hockey player and true warrior. He grew up in Clark Mills, NY, where he discovered an affinity for hockey. Scott went on to graduate college and play professionally for almost 10 years before stepping out into the mortgage business.
In 2018, Scott suffered a traumatic injury after falling down the stairs in his home. Due to this experience, Scott has been an advocate for mental health with a focus on self-growth. He strives to continue to learn and grow, while leveraging his personal and professional experiences, and remains passionate about helping others create more meaningful, happy and fulfilling lives.
You will hear Scott have an open conversation with us about his time as a professional hockey player, getting diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and even how it affected him in later years. In addition, discover how Scott handled the aftermath of his injury and realized the importance of choosing each day to take new steps towards growth and healing. Furthermore, learn how Scott changed the mindsets that had him growing from victim to victory, and how he continues to manage staying on top of his mental health every single day!
To learn more or to connect with Scott and hear more from Warriors Unmasked, simply follow us by referencing the links below.
Remember, you are not alone.
Always In Your Corner,
Chuck and Clint
More of What We Talk About...
- How Scott got started in hockey
- The advice Scott would give his younger self
- Paying attention to those who are growing faster than you
- The incident that changed his life
- Leaving a legacy through a book
- The importance of gratitude in every part of your life
- Slowing life down to appreciate what it offers
- Acknowledging that mental and physical health go hand in hand
- Why you need to find someone to talk to
- Tips Scott uses every day to keep a healthy mind
- Changing perspective with wins and losses
And much more!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 1:58 Meet Scott Kelsey
- 2:56 What childhood was like for Scott
- 5:58 Scott’s college years at home
- 7:16 Scott’s journey to league hockey
- 8:05 How one ‘no’ changes everything
- 11:22 Scott’s memories in professional hockey
- 15:35 The fateful day that changed everything for Scott
- 19:52 The hard road to recovery
- 27:26 What life after a traumatic brain injury is like
- 29:24 Learning how to enjoy the simple things
- 34:39 Dealing with depression and anxiety
- 41:14 The importance of finding someone you trust to talk to
- 42:21 What Scott’s life life is like today
- 49:55 Closing thoughts and where to find Scott
Movement Mortgage Website: www.movement.com/lo/scott-kelsey